Saturday, August 8, 2009

Very First Post

I have been training to be a tour guide for more than a year and a half. What I have learned in this course has been nothing short of amazing. It really helps me appreciate living here. Although I, like most religious olim (immigrants) came here for spiritual reasons, this is an amazing land even from a non-religious perspective. Israel is a microcosm of the world. In a country the size of New Jersey, there is so much geographic diversity. There are about 2,600 species of plants in Israel. For comparison purposes, that is more than you can find in the state of California (which has more than twice the area of Israel!). There are also 5 different vegetation regions.
You can also find over 3000 years of history here, and its a gold mine for archeological enthuisiants. Groups that have had a presence here besides the Jewish people include the Romans, Byzantines, Christians, Muslims, Turks, among others. It also goes without saying that this is the place to relive biblical history. I plan on becoming a licensed guide around June of 2010 and I cant wait to take tourists through a journey of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment